Model Support Group (MSG)
The Model Support Group (MSG) is a team of international experts from buildingSMART membership that builds and maintains buildingSMART data model standards. Currently, the MSG is primarily responsible for the development and maintenance of the IFC schema and related specifications and tools.
In general, the current main objective of the MSG is to continuously develop, improve, and maintain the IFC schema and its documentation, as well as supporting its implementation in IFC compatible software. In addition, the MSG is responsible for coordinating Model View Definitions (MVDs) developed by interested stakeholders to fulfill specific business processes and needed information exchanges across the buildingSMART community.
Membership in the MSG is determined by existing members of the MSG and endorsed by the Standards Committee Technical Executive (SCTE) and bSI Executive Management. MSG members have displayed the highest technical acumen regarding IFC schema development and the other technologies it derives from and and supports. They are required to be experts in data modeling with an built environment industry background and contribute to the various MSG work tasks.
In detail, the MSG activities include:
- Synthesis and revision of a technical development road map for the IFC schema, including setting strategic technical goals and IFC schema architecture;
- Consolidation and final integration of new data model requirements put forward by IFC extension projects;
- Continuous work to maintain and improve the IFC schema documentation;
- Maintain an issue resolution database used to track miscellaneous issues with documentation or schema constructs, by commenting on reported issues and resolving them at the next appropriate IFC schema release;
- Coordinate, harmonize, and publish bSI standard MVDs;
- Provide the necessary technical documentation - implementation guides, examples, and tutorials - to developers looking to support bSI standards in their products;
- Support the work of the ISG and help with the publishing of Implementation Agreements which clarify the most appropriate use of variants within the IFC schema;
- Work with other buildingSMART committees and support the development of other buildingSMART standards;
- Work with other external standardization groups to harmonize IFC definitions with other ISO standard deliverables;
- General MSG coordination activities, including regular meetings and web conferences