The Benefits of IFC Software Certification
The buildingSMART Certification Program provides the participating software developers with a quality assurance methodology, a series of testing tools, a series of test cases for export and import (at different scales and complexity), and access to a team of data standard experts.
The current test environment, focused on IFC-based exchanges, is tailored to the specific exchange requirements that are satisfied by an official IFC Model View Definition (such as the IFC2x3 Coordination View 2.0, and the IFC4 Reference View 1.2), forming the basis for this certification process.
The results are internationally recognized certificates deemed to distinguish software vendors for their ability to support interoperability and open standards across many, including strategic, user organizations.
In detail, each participating developer get access to the online certification center that supports the workflow of certification, from creation and uploading of test cases to final verification and reporting of test results. This includes:
- The automatic test routines exclusively defined for the certification process that can be run by participants at any time (including regression tests);
- The checklist for manual verification used by the certification team for final checks, the individual check items are tight to the requirements (or concepts) of the IFC Model View Definition for the particular certification;
- the automatic tracking of issues (and a discussion tool to ask for clarification and help);
- the elaborated test cases - those are test instructions for generating export test files, and calibration files for import;
- the ability for self-checking prior to final certification;
- the certification support center itself carried out by a certification team;
In addition, the developer realizes international marketing benefits by being associated the Certification Program and is included in buildingSMART International press releases on progress and results of certification, as well as the right to display the official buildingSMART Software Certification logo(s) in products.