buildingSMART Technical Services
buildingSMART Technical Services are comprised of a wide variety of technical experts, software developers/vendors, and researchers engaged in creating and supporting the standards and technologies of buildingSMART. This includes the Industry Foundation Classes (IFC) data model, Model View Definitions (MVDs), the BIM Collaboration Format (BCF), and the buildingSMART Data Dictionary (bSDD) - for the exchange of Building Information Models (BIMs) among different software products and platforms. Over time, the technical community continues to evolve and grow alongside the evolution and growth of the standards and technologies.
Within the larger technical community there are a number of formal groups which have varied, but complementary, responsibilities in supporting bSI standards. These groups include:
More information about them can be found in the sub-pages of the Services section.
Under the leadership of the Technical Director, working with the Technical Room, and Standards Committee leaders, the bSI Technical Services are responsible for many aspects of the implementation of bSI standards and technologies. These include:
- Creation and maintenance of the IFC schema, BCF specification, and any associated technologies;
- Technical support to developers/vendors in their implementation of the various bSI standards and technologies;
- Peer-to-peer support for the developer/vendor community in their implementation efforts;
- Certification of software supporting IFC import and/or export;
- Technical consultation to the various standards projects led by industry stakeholders.