buildingSMART is inviting presentations for a keynote at the upcoming User Conference being held virtually on Thursday 28th and Friday 29th April 2022. For a chance to present at the event, submit your proposal for a presentation on this page. Add a title, short description, and an image, making sure it is informative and to the point.
This is also the page to vote for ideas and proposals you want to see at the User Conference. You have 5 votes each to help your preferred proposals get to the top of the leader board! If you change your mind or prefer a new proposal, you can retract and re-allocate your vote at any time.
We are looking for the next generation of digital twins based on IFC. These guidelines are designed to drive the concept that digital twins can be underpinned by IFC, and related information can be federated for real-world use. We encourage the community to vote on the best examples and the top 3 will be invited to present during the opening plenary of the user conference.
The submission can also include:
- Demonstration of the digital twin using IFC
- Open data formats as a foundation for the digital twins
- Other data standards (such as CityGML) would be advantageous
- Inclusion of other buildingSMART services (such as bSDD) would also be advantageous
bSI reserves the right to invite interesting projects to future events if they don’t meet the required votes.
- 18th February: platform officially open to submit your presentation suggestions
- 1st April: last day to submit your presentation suggestions
- 10th April: last day to cast your votes!
- 11th April: successful candidates informed
- 25th April: all presentation materials to have been delivered by successful candidates
Questions? Reach out to Dan Little.
- 193WHAT IS A DIGITAL TWIN ?Read moreRead lessFIND OUT WHAT IS AN 100% openBIM® DIGITAL TWIN !!! This presentation will highlight, thanks to usBIM (by ACCA software), an unprecedented vision about Digital Twin, that was considered impossible. The Digital Twin can be seen as a federation of terrain models, new and historical buildings, infrastructures (roads, railways, bridges, etc.), archeological sites, MEP plants, power plants, etc. aswell as all the related documentation and data that should be possible to consult and view in a natural and fast way. Our Digital Twin is easily accessible with a simple internet browser and from any device (PC, Tablet, etc.), without limits on its dimensions and complexity, and without the need to install any software. The Digital Twin is the foundation for handling all the informations of Assets, Facility Managements, Internet of Things, Control, Security, Management, etc. with continuous editing and updates in realtime. usBIM is the cloud platform that allows the creation and visualization of Digital Twins composed by the federation of hundreds of models in openBIM formats (IFC 2x3; 4; 4.3, BCF, PointCloud, CAD, PDF, etc.). Visit: cloud.usbim.com
- 161Using IFC to create an Azure Digital TwinRead moreRead lessIn the context of a Smart City project, COSTIM has developed and applied a method to use IFC to create an Azure Digital Twin (ADT). With this method we are able to automatically connect openBIM models to the Microsoft IoT platform. The method includes 1) the definition of specific IFC information requirements, 2) the principles to transform the IFC schema into a model graph in ADTL, 3) the augmentation of the model graph with other IoT-specific information coming from the REC ontology, 4) the transformation of IFC models into a digital twin (twin graph). As a proof of concept, we have applied the method to an apartment that is part of the project and we have developed the integration between the ADT IoT platform and a model viewer. The project is currently under construction and the group is evaluating the steps to make the approach “production ready”. The work has been funded by the COSTIM group within its digital innovation program, it has been implemented by its companies Impresa Percassi (general contractor) and GSM (digital platform developer), and performed together with IBN, Minnucci Associati and Engisis.
- 79Bim.Point - IFC in service for FM and maintenance.Read moreRead lessAlive digital twin throughout the building lifecycle. We would like to introduce you our experience: how we work with federated IFC BIM models using Bim.Point platform www.bim-point.eu – a web on-line database solution with IFC core, which is used during the operation and maintenance. Bim.Point is designed as a BIM software tool enabling to work with all building data and to support the building information management in a full database form. The Service allows to access the Data and BIM models in IFC format remotely for authorized users, on the principles of the cloud solutions. All users work with one common data source (common database). The data is not distributed to individual users separately, which guarantees up-to-date information for all users concurrently. The tool fully operates with the international exchange BIM format IFC 2x3 version and version 4 (according to EN ISO 16739). In addition to the data contained in the IFC file, it is possible to assign another set of defined project parameters to each element of the model, these can be edited, mutually shared or used for searching and sorting the information. The Bim.Point tool allows saving and sharing external data files, attachments, in relation to a specific element or group of elements. Values of data items and attachments added via Bim.Point tool, including their bindings to certain elements in BIM model, are fully preserved even after the IFC model update and reloading. The tool fully works with the model which is physically divided into the individual sub-technical models, as a whole; and also, separately with sub-models. The number of IFC data models running in one project is unlimited. https://youtu.be/74o2WAqguC0 https://youtu.be/59e6BuYPhGY
- 77Digital Twin for Asset Data Management Vision for a Transportation SystemRead moreRead lessIn the United States (US), Departments of Transportation (DOTs) are responsible for managing and maintaining transportation assets. Typically, a transportation system is composed of high-value and high-visible assets such as pavements and bridges in addition to a wide variety of ancillary or auxiliary assets such as signs, traffic lights, pavement markings, and others. Each state DOT is responsible for managing a transportation system that expands over a vast network and usually amounts to billions of dollars. However, the current practices of state DOTs in managing and handling asset data and, subsequently, operating and maintaining their transportation systems are accompanied by a minimal level of digitization and the absence of standards for data collection and data handling. These current practices of asset data management result in data loss, tedious and redundant work, and lack of interoperability and data sharing between the different divisions across the DOT. Conversely, Digital Twins have the potential to leverage the value of asset data and transform data into useful information to inform decision making, while keeping the asset condition updated in a real-time manner, allowing for conducting preventive maintenance and future predictions. This webinar proposal contributes to the discourse around the value of Digital Twins for infrastructure assets by: 1) presenting the burning platform for the need for Digital Twins and defining Digital Twins, 2) investigating the requirements of ancillary transportation assets from a data perspective, and 3) presenting the blueprint of an integrated IFC and CityGML platform for developing and deploying an actual Digital Twin prototype that state DOTs can adopt and implement. Such implementation of Digital Twins is envisioned to allow DOTs to harness the value of collected data, release data from the isolated silos, and feasibly share them within different divisions to support reliable and high-quality decision-making.
- 22Twinfinity – Data driven property development using Digital Twins and IFCRead moreRead lessA real estate company rely on several data sources, such as business data, IoT/Sensor data, building data, to keep the day-to-day business up and running. Moreover, the data required for specific tasks are often stored in proprietary systems – making data accessibility, aggregation and visualization major pain points for real estate owners. Using Twinfinity, real estate owners attain a platform truly enabling a digital twin – providing data aggregation through API:s and data visualization by supplying a structured way of presenting data in a building context. The Twinfinity Platform, developed by Sweco, is based on IFC-models. An IFC-model is uploaded into Twinfinity and, using fully automated processes, gets transformed into data consisting of geometries, properties etc. stored in a database. This means the built in zero-footprint viewer can be used to consume the content of the IFC-files in a browser without needing any software installed. This works on desktop as well av handheld devices. Our API:s and embedded interfaces also allows Twinfinity to be used to; create custom applications combining data sources from the eco system of data in the real estate company or be embedded into other applications where a visualization of data in a building context is needed to create value and insights through the entire lifecycle of the property. In addition, the platform automatically creates Real Estate Core representations of the IFC-models that can be used to seamlessly populate systems like Azure Digital Twin or Proptech OS. The Twinfinity platform also include a powerful IFC-validator enabling not only property and object validation but also tools for multi-criteria analysis and other applications.
- 15POWERBIM DigitalTwin Ecosystem for Building Lifecycle Performance for Smart Buildings Integrated to Smart CitiesRead moreRead lessPOWERBIM is a highly innovative software platform that helps manage buildings in an effectively way, monitoring, simulating, analysing and helping to improve energy, sustainability, construction and facility management indicators. https://bim6d.eu/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/POWERBIM-ARCHITECTURE-02-scaled.jpg to see the cyberphysical architecture infographic by deploying an Artificial Intelligence to monitor specific indicators and to recommend to users, professionals and property owners improvements to take action in the systems to improve these indicators. Some indicators are directly related to BIM AECO digital workflow (1D to 6D) and others are directly related to energy performance, sustainability but the platform is able to work with more indicators (Mobility, Security, etc.) on demand… POWERBIM (https://powerbim.com) integrates last disruptive technologies in the sector like IOT, Big Data and predictive analytics, connecting digital models with physical devices (CAFM/IWMS/BMS systems, UMMANED devices for remote inspection like DRONES, ROBOTICS, and cameras) together with their contained data, for operations processes of the assets. Also, its connect with other existing external database systems such as devices installed in the city https://powerbim.es/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/POWERBIM_DigitalTwin-ecosystem-scaled.jpg POWERBIM automates the integration between the BIM cloud world and DATA cloud world in a easy and seamless way . Integrating BIM cloud solutions using Autodesk Forge technology and the cloud DATA services, like MICROSOFT AZURE, SIEMENS MINDSPHERE IOT PLATFORM, and we integrate a AUTODESK CONSTRUCTION CLOUD CDE BIM platform, representing data in Power Bi dashboards the result of analytics. In POWERBIM we are enhancing IFC, BCF, AND GIS open source environments like MapBox, all these BIM/GIS ecosystem is integrated to Azure Cloud Environment, Siemens Mindsphere IoT platform and others. https://vimeo.com/605948506/7489361c0e
- 12Smart Energy SystemsRead moreRead lessDigital Twins of schools in Växjö accelerates the innovation of Smart Heating Systems. Växjö Municipality has procured an innovations partnership with WINNIIO AB to create AI-driven self-learning buildings, focusing on Smart Heating Systems. The new solution is set up to optimize the flow of energy down to each radiator, ensuring an efficient heating distribution and reducing CO2 emissions for buildings. The solution for Smarter Buildings and Smart Heating systems that Växjö strives for are important because energy use in buildings across Europe accounts for about 40% of total energy use. Since the rate of new construction is relatively low (approx. 1-2% / year), the result is that approx. 80% of the existing buildings by 2050 will be those we use today. That is why innovation in existing properties is extremely important to save energy and to reach the climate goals. Contextually Smart Buildings With that in mind, 300+ wireless mesh sensors and 100+ actuators are now being installed in the selected pilot schools. Enabling the real estate owner to collect data from these types of sensors: CO2 Temp/humidity Occupancy Doors, windows, open or closed Return temperature from the radiators The actuators have been sourced from a vendor in Sweden, IMI, and the intelligence comes from an open-source software-stack from Conectric, a Californian-based wireless mesh company. Together a new product has been created in the last 4 months, allowing the real estate owner to control all radiators remotely. Manually first, but then the system will learn from how it is being used and move closer to a self-learning adaptive system.
- 7Creating Digital Twins via Lifecycle BIM CDERead moreRead lessEcodomus by Siemens is the world's first BIM-based Digital Twin environment certified to support open standards like COBie, CityGML, IFC, OPC, BACnet, MQTT, e57, etc. The presentation will explain how City Rail Link (Auckland, NZ) used IFC, COBie, and point clouds in e57 format to prepare the Digital Handover from construction to operations. Another case study, from the project funded by the US Department of Homeland Security, will demonstrate how OpenBIM and CityGML can coexist within the same Common Data Environment (CDE).