buildingSMART Technical Community
The buildingSMART Technical Community is comprised of a wide variety of technical experts and software vendors engaged in creating and supporting the standards and technologies of buildingSMART. This includes the Industry Foundation Classes (IFC) data model, Model View Definitions (MVDs), the BIM Collaboration Format (BCF), and the buildingSMART Data Dictionary (bSDD) - for the exchange of Building Information Models (BIMs) among different software products and platforms. Over time, the technical community continues to evolve and grow alongside the evolution and growth of the standards and technologies.
Within the larger technical community there are a number of formal groups which have varied, but complementary, responsibilities in supporting bSI standards. These groups include:
- Model Support Group (MSG)
- Implementation Support Group (ISG)
- Software Certification (SC)
More information about them can be found in the sub-pages of the Community section.
Working with the Technical Room leadership and Standards Committee, the bSI Technical Community is responsible for many aspects of the implementation of bSI standards and technologies. These include:
- Creation and maintenance of the IFC schema, BCF specification, and any associated technologies;
- Technical support to developers/vendors in their implementation of the various bSI standards and technologies;
- Peer-to-peer support for the developer/vendor community in their implementation efforts;
- Certification of software supporting IFC import and/or export;
- Technical consultation to the various standards projects led by industry stakeholders.