Welcome to buildingSMART International's hub for
Providing official documentation and support for buildingSMART International standards and technologies
This is the official website maintained by buildingSMART International to publish[BIM]
Scope of buildingSMART Standards
buildingSMART standards cover wide range of process and information capabilities unique to the built environment industry, including:
- An industry-specific data model schema - Industry Foundation Classes [IFC]
- A methodology for defining and documenting business processes and data requirements - Information Delivery Manual [IDM]
- Data model exchange specifications - Model View Definitions [MVD]
- Model-based, software-independent communication protocols - BIM Collaboration Format [BCF]
- A standard library of general definitions of BIM objects and their attributes - buildingSMART Data Dictionary [bSDD]
The list continues to grow as stakeholders in the industry work together to identify opportunities to be more efficient and create greater value by applying standard processes and technologies where needed.
Impacting the Industry Today
Users around the world are currently benefiting from buildingSMART standards today through software implementations of IFC, MVDs, BCF, and the bSDD. This includes over 250 applications (and growing) available from global and local software vendors/developers throughout the world to exchange important data between stakeholders in many different domains, enabling more efficient digital information workflows.